About to upgrade from 6D to R6 a few questions if I may?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
birdbrain
birdbrain Veteran Member • Posts: 3,605
About to upgrade from 6D to R6 a few questions if I may?

I expect it may have to do with the effects of a third national lockdown? But I have decided to get myself an R6.

The specs look good, I know some may argue it doesn't have enough pixels? But I've not particularly noticed my 6D lacking, and that's printing to A3+ and viewing on a 4K monitor.

The supply of RF to EF adapters seems non existent at the moment sadly, so I'll buy an RF fit lens as well.

Any suggestions on setting up an R6 out of the box that I should be thinking about being a mirrorless camera?

Some of my thoughts.

Electronic or mechanical shutter?

Should I have the shutter cover the sensor when switched off?

AF settings, on my DSLR's I have them set up with an expanded AF point in the centre of the frame, which is also registered to the joystick controller. This allows me to move the AF point around the frame with the joystick, and a press of the joystick puts it back in the centre. I presume I can do similar with the R6?

Back button AF, good idea on the R6?

Lenses, I have the 16-35 II and 24-70 II EF L series lenses and was looking to keep these. Plus the 100-400 II and 500 f4 II. My photography is either birds or landscapes / cityscapes and street view.

I am thinking about the Samyang 14mm f2.8 AF lens in RF fit. I do like a wide-angle lens. This lens has its foibles but for the price seems pretty good?

Any input would be very gratefully received.

-- hide signature --

Philip
I wondered why the ball kept getting bigger, then it hit me.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/philthebirdbrain/sets/

birdbrain's gear list:birdbrain's gear list
Sony RX10 II Canon EOS R5 Canon EOS R6 Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM +7 more
Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Canon EOS 6D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow