Playing around with depth of field and I think I finally get it?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Gerry Winterbourne Forum Pro • Posts: 18,619
Re: Yeah - you got it!

Pixel Pooper wrote:

Bob wrote:

One thing, though. "Bokeh" does not mean blurry background. Bokeh refers to the quality of the blurry parts. Smooth or coarse.

Many people use the term 'bokeh' to mean a blurry background...it's a common misunderstanding of the term.

This is a common misunderstanding of the term "bokeh".

No it isn't. The article you quote includes very early on "What we need is a word that specifically refers to the qualities that a lens imparts to objects in front and behind the plane of focus." And, indeed, the whole article is really about that.

Bokeh comes from the Japanese word boke which simply means blur or haze.

It's a common mistake to assume that words adopted from other languages must have the same meanings. If that were true then you'd be telling us that "camera" really means "room or chamber" and "lens" means "lentil".

It was introduced into the English language with the added H by Photo Techniques Magazine in 1997 to refer specifically to out of focus blur in a photograph. The idea that it can only refer to the quality of the blur came later

See the extract I posted above.

and is inconsistent with both the Japanese definition and the original usage in English.

The original articles that introduced the word bokeh to the English language can be found here

Here is a quote from the editor Mike Jonhnston (the guy who commissioned the articles and added the H):

"Bokeh" simply means blur, specifically out-of-focus blur (as opposed to the kinds caused by subject or camera movement). It includes, but is not limited to, out-of-focus highlights." - Mike Johnston

-- hide signature --

Gerry
http://www.pbase.com/gerrywinterbourne
gerry.winterbourne@ntlworld.com

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Bob
Bob
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow