Comparison of sharpening methods for Moon images

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
OP DavidWright2010 Senior Member • Posts: 2,751
Re: Settings Please?

tradesmith45 wrote:

Both these programs have settings that influence results. Comparisons like this are a favorite subject on the 'net. But they are not helpful if they do not describe the settings.

I've used Wavelets features in RT5.8 and they make a large difference in results, same for Topaz. Topaz AI in auto modes applies NR in addition to sharpening. Was that used here?

We neeed to know more.

Sure.

You'll notice that I showed all the modes available in Topaz - I used the recommended settings and turned on 'do additional NR'. I thought 'focus' mode did the best on this image, but it seemed a little too 'sparkly' so in PS Elements I applied 0,3 pixel Gaussian broadening, and that attenuated the 'hot' or 'sparkly' pixels.

The wavelet processing in RegiStax was one level only, settings: NR 0.20, SH 0.120,  11.6. Afterwards in PSE I did some chroma NR (10, 50 and 80 for the 3 values in the NR edit box). Then I applied 100% sharpening 0.5 px radius, and unsharp masking 10% 4 pixels.

Any more questions?

BTW, I'm hoping that someone else will describe their wavelet technique. I've seen that tutorial where they claim a great improvement with several levels of wavelet processing, and talk about how the noise can be 'trapped' in the first level. But I never saw any improvement in using more than one leve.

David

DavidWright2010's gear list:DavidWright2010's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma SD1 Merrill Pentax K-1 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow