D800/E/810/850: No Practical DR Improvement with 64 ISO?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Portion Control Regular Member • Posts: 102
D800/E/810/850: No Practical DR Improvement with 64 ISO?

You've seen the DXO and PhotonsToPhotos breakdowns. Both give all these cameras more than 11 stops of dynamic range. DXO gives them more than 14. PTP is more conservative, but the 810/850 still crest a little higher on the line graph with ISO 64 than the 800/E. The newer two coming within 1/3 stop of DR between them and the DPR cutoff of 12 for "medium format"- level.

You've seen the article on DPR that draws that conclusion from the charts, that you get closer to "medium format" DR with the ISO 64 mode.

Now it's old, and maybe it's been discussed on this forum before, but this gentleman did a test that seems fairly sound and shows the D800E to have the same (or slightly better) usable dynamic range at base ISO compared to later siblings. He also rates usable DR as around 9 for all three cameras.

But I am not technically literate enough to really confidently judge his methods. It appears that he's making a subjective comparison of where to set the effective high and low clipping points. Do you think that makes his results suspect, or is he on to something? I had the choice between a local used D800 and D810.

I chose the 810 because it was sharper thanks to the lack of AA filter, because of the EFCS, and because of the supposedly better dynamic range. If I'd seen this video before I bought, I maybe would've rather gone online to find a 800E and saved some money. Overall I like my D810 quite a bit and since it's not always on a tripod when I'm hiking, I appreciate the vibration dampening features. But did I actually gain any DR by springing for the camera with the lower native ISO?

Nikon D800 Nikon D800E Nikon D810
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow