Playing around with depth of field and I think I finally get it?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Pixel Pooper Veteran Member • Posts: 3,818
Re: Yeah - you got it!

Bob wrote:

One thing, though. "Bokeh" does not mean blurry background. Bokeh refers to the quality of the blurry parts. Smooth or coarse.

Many people use the term 'bokeh' to mean a blurry's a common misunderstanding of the term.

This is a common misunderstanding of the term "bokeh". Bokeh comes from the Japanese word boke which simply means blur or haze. It was introduced into the English language with the added H by Photo Techniques Magazine in 1997 to refer specifically to out of focus blur in a photograph. The idea that it can only refer to the quality of the blur came later and is inconsistent with both the Japanese definition and the original usage in English.

The original articles that introduced the word bokeh to the English language can be found here

Here is a quote from the editor Mike Jonhnston (the guy who commissioned the articles and added the H):

"Bokeh" simply means blur, specifically out-of-focus blur (as opposed to the kinds caused by subject or camera movement). It includes, but is not limited to, out-of-focus highlights." - Mike Johnston

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow