Scanning negative films (35 and 120)

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
John Crowe
John Crowe Senior Member • Posts: 1,029
Re: Scanning negative films (35 and 120)

I have used a Canon 5D II and Canon FD 50mm f3.5 Macro to digitize 35mm, 6x6, and 4x5 slides and negatives.  I will be using a 5DSR going forward but results from the 21 MP are excellent!

In contrast to what someone else said I was able to make better prints from the digital files.  I was shocked how much I could pull out of the underexposed shadows.  I would estimate 2 stops with very little grain.  I suppose if I paid someone a fortune they could have done it the analog way.  I also did not use any dedicated noise software, just processing in ACR and PS CS6.

Processing transparencies is straightforward.  Negative colour films are very much a challenge and I gave up on a handful.  I don't think I have done my few B&W negs but one would think the reversal process is easier.  Something to look into.

I digitized fine grained films like Kodachrome 25, 64 and Velvia 50.  I would say the 6x6 and 4x5 digitized files are similar in printability to my digital files.  I have a couple posted in my gallery here.  You would have to check the descriptions to see which were film.

John Crowe's gear list:John Crowe's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Kenko Teleplus Pro 300 AF 1.4x Venus Laowa 12mm F2.8 Zero-D +15 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Bob
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow