Comparing EF 100mm L and Sigma 56mm

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Feigerou Junior Member • Posts: 27
Comparing EF 100mm L and Sigma 56mm

Everyone,

I've owned a great copy of the 100mm f2.8 L IS for several years, and while it's a great lens I don't do serious macro work with it and it's the only lens I have longer than the 32mm f1.4 right now.  I'd really like to fill in the longer focal lengths, and I'm not really seeing how the 100mm fits into that (well, at least without a pile more cash!  ). Since I don't really need the macro capabilities of the 100mm, I'm thinking about trading it in to finance something like this -

1. the Sigma 56mm f1.4 for general portraits and increased flexibility in smaller spaces
  2. the EF-S 55-250mm STM for more reach and flexibility when I know I need it

I do love the 100mm L, so I'm trying to convince myself that this is a good move overall.  Money wise this could be close to an even swap.

I know I lose some quality and light gathering on the long end with the 55-250, but there's no flexibility with the 100mm and I can't use it in many smaller indoor spaces anyway.  Plus I hear the STM version is very good optically, enough to skip looking at the 70-200mm L IS since I don't want to carry that tank around.

So really, if the Sigma 56mm is close to as good as the 100mm L for general photography and portraits, then I'll probably go ahead with the change.  Especially since I'll be able to keep the 56mm on the M5 more than I can with the 100mm now.  Then my kit would really cover all the bases with -

• 11-22mm
  • 22mm
  • 32mm
  • 56mm
  • 55-250mm permanently attached to the EF-M adapter

Does anyone here have both or has had both the 100mm and the 56mm and can give me a run-down on how they compare for general / portrait work?  Do I lose anything going to the 56mm, other than the obvious 1:1 macro and IS?  I know they're not quite in the same category, but this would really play into which way I go.

Thanks!

Feigerou's gear list:Feigerou's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 32mm F1.4
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow