Laptop or Desktop?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
AnthonyL Veteran Member • Posts: 3,426
Laptop or Desktop?

I've just about always had portables ever since the first luggables of the 1980's mainly due to my work.  My current laptop is 2nd hand about 10yrs old (HP Elitebook 8440p) which has only in the last few months replaced my 2007 Lenovo 3000 and I still have the Dell Inspiron that preceeded that.

But I realise now I've retired and moved to a house with a study I barely do anything away from the desk.  So whilst my brain in automatic mode started to look at laptops I wonder if I should break out of the habit and look at a desktop.

Once every couple of years I go overseas for an extended spell and the laptop has been great especially for handling my RAW photos but otherwise everything else I could just about do on the smartphone, and anyway, I don't have to throw this laptop away.

But also laptops have continued to get more power (I'm hesitant to say they are any better, this HP is ruggedised, built like a tank with spill-proof keyboard and proper locking lid/screen.

Looking for thoughts to help me with my thinking.

AnthonyL's gear list:AnthonyL's gear list
Canon EOS 700D Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM +5 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow