Winter in a dry land

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
OldGuy-Yuri Regular Member • Posts: 227
Winter in a dry land

Winter in the Los Padres Natl Forest backcountry is a time of relief. Relief from unending heat; from dry, parched, steep terrain, where life clings tenaciously. Winter brings cold every day and night; and sometimes moisture - but not often. It's beauty is guarded and lies in subtle colors and sharp, craggy, hard shapes. The upper Santa Ynez river is a dry riverbed for 95% of the year, but when it flows, life rejuvenates and the canyons explode with life.
Today was a beautiful, even comfortable day in the backcountry and the sun was a welcome participant. We walked thru dry meadows and rested near shaded pools, marveling in the contrasts around each turn. This day was a day for experiencing, and my humble HX80 was just the right brush to paint a simple picture.

There's much crossover between 'Landscape' and 'Nature/Wildlife'; but to me its all the natural world... so either forum seems apropos.
I've gotten questions about goats and hiking, so here some info on that.
My friend Laura, has twin French Alpine goats, Jack & Jeff, in her family. She lives on the edge of the Los Padres Forest and gets out with them often. I try to join as often as possible. They are a bunch of fun, very social and full of personality. They are quite good on hiking etiquette, by never leaving anyone behind. They're always checking to make sure we don't lose stragglers. Day hikes are fun, but overnight is not considered, because of the 'attractive' nature they are for Mtn Lion...
So, safe at home, at night.

Thx
Yuri

-- hide signature --

Cold-hearted orb that rules the night
Removes the colours from our sight
Red is grey is yellow white
But we decide which is right
And which is an illusion - Graham Edge

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX80
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow