Sony 24mm f1.4 GM as a single hiking lens?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
poipoipoi_2016 Contributing Member • Posts: 888
Re: Sony 24mm f1.4 GM as a single hiking lens?

tonyz1 wrote:

Lots of good deals on the Sony 24mm now with the new 35mm out makes me want to finally give it a try. I'm curious does anyone here use it as a single prime hiking lens for landscapes and people shots and how do you like it? Is the distortion for people bad in those situations?

I'm thinking of using this as a lightweight high quality landscape + people lens on the Sony A9 while carrying the Sony 200-600mm for wildlife. I've typically avoided buying 24mm lenses since it covers the same focal length as my zooms (Sigma 14-24mm and 24-70) but looking for something lighter.

Also have the Sony 35mm f1.8 which I think is great for people and general photography but does not give you the expansive landscape feel that I think really starts at 28mm.

Daytime, you're going to be sitting up at f/5.6-f/11 where the similarly priced, not-much-larger 24-105/4 (or 28-200, signed the one person on the site who picked the 24-105 over the 28-200 purely for how much I miss 24mm) is going to be a better lens.

Nighttime *hiking*, there's no light and no lens will save you at which point you get a tripod and hate your life as you take 8-minute exposures of everything.

Nighttime *city* is a different story, where 24/1.4 is wide *enough* to make reasonable DOF vs. ISO tradeoffs in street scenes.  And if you're going to head up into the hills for a couple days or weeks, and then head back to the airport city, it has a surprisingly constant spot in my bag... after the zooms are done.

poipoipoi_2016's gear list:poipoipoi_2016's gear list
Sony RX100 V Sony a7R III Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Sony FE 24mm F1.4 GM +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow