Sample gallery from my Z24-70 F/4 S, my new favorite walk around lens!

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
rbmphoto Senior Member • Posts: 1,768
Couple of points...

My comment on the 2.8 were regarding usage on a ff sensor - and the visual differences are quite distinct, though perhaps unimportant to some. I would expect less noticeable variation on a dx sensor. Everyone has to find their own comfort level on cost vs image quality. I do like the 4.0 image quality on my z50, but not nearly as much on the Z7.

On the d7xxx/z50 af question, I have to admit, on no Nikon bodies I’ve had over the last 30+ years have I ever used live view - but then I have never spent time on macro photography. I must confess, I’m a tad confused why one would not prefer manual focus during that process. Even using manual lens such as Zeiss 135, I don’t use live view, but the focusing aids available through the viewfinder. Sadly, I’m the kind of guy that has an unused RRS setup collecting dust in a closet, so I’m not a good one to judge.

I do believe your comments regarding the dxxx series and autofocus could be misconstrued - using autofocus for macro vs moving targets such as birds have little in common. While the z50 is a delightful body, autofocus responsiveness is not its strong suit. It is a delight however, as are all the Nikon mirrorless bodies, when it comes to autofocus accuracy.

Having used the 7200 and still owning the 7500 for use on a couple of older lens, I would suggest that the 7500 is a step up in af, if not iq, over previous d7xxx bodies. Truly, for moving targets, at present dslr’s still rule the roost, and within that family, the af abilities pretty much directly improve with budget. (If you have not done so, but ever have an opportunity to try a single digit D Nikon, by all means do so - the camera ‘slamming’ lens into focus is not to be missed. 🙂) I in no way want to disparage the z50, just clarify its fitness for some purposes based on my usage to date - just my limited observation and opinion.

Fortunately, within the Nikon family, there is some combination that will satisfy almost everyone. A difficulty for us all I think, is narrowing down from all the information and opinions that are available, those that are directly relevant to our own situation. Clarity too on our own experience, and not too broadly generalizing gear assessments - Thom is particularly good I think at setting the stage, and limits, for his tests and opinions.

I got involved in this thread because a poster asked a specific question about two lens on a specific body, all of which I happen to own. My advice to him was as he aleady And again want to point out that I really like your photos you’ve certainly got a combination that works well for you.

regards

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow