back into photography - APS-C or Full Frame ?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
rapha-35 New Member • Posts: 12
back into photography - APS-C or Full Frame ?

Hi guys!

After owning a Canon 60D with a 17-50 f2.8 and 85mm f1.8 for a couple of years, mostly doing portraits with models with the faster lens, the gear ended up in a closet taking the dust as I didn't get much occasions to use it, and having a full (quite heavy) backpack for it, I wasn't always picking it up.

Couple of years later, some friends of mine went for Sony mirrorless (a6000, a7iii), one still has a classic Nikon D610 - it appears I always love to use their cameras and I'm taking lovely shots with them, they got me thinking, why not buy something again?

Looking at my options, two main path ahead of me : APS-C ("budget option" with a a6400) or Full Frame (going for a7c or a7iii)

I'm pretty sure I can get beautiful shots out of any of those cameras, but not only I'm a photography enthusiast, I'm also a "geek", fan of technology, and appreciating sharp and high IQ - I also like to spend time editing pictures (on a 4K screen).

That being said, this new gear will be mostly for travel photography, looking at a simple setup with 1 or 2 prime lens that can almost get in a pocket, and being lightweight and compact.

For portraits on full frame, I'd say the Zeiss 55mm f1.8 got all my attention, but it might be too long for travel/street photography? A bit worried by Sony 50mm f1.8 slow/noisy AF on the "cheap" side of things.

The Sony 35mm f1.8 is a big bigger but still light, and maybe more versatile even for portraits (but no close-ups).

On APS-C what about the 20mm f.2.8 Pancake + a 50mm 1.8 OSS ? Seems like this could cover street and portrait pretty well too while being way cheaper.

Any thoughs/recommendations ?

- A7c or A7iii ? (I can get them for the same price)

- A6400 + one/two prime lens for all the price of a full frame setup ?

Thanks

Sony a6400 Sony a7 III Sony a7C
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow