D780 - AF-C with: LiveView vs OVF vs Z's any differences?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
skyrunr
skyrunr Senior Member • Posts: 1,107
D780 - AF-C with: LiveView vs OVF vs Z's any differences?

The background on this may help, but you can skip to the question at the end if you want.

I've been trying out the Z50/Z7/Z5/Z6II for over four months now and determined that mirrorless is still not for me YET. As much as I like the EVF and 80% of the time I get better photos than I do (side-by-side) with my D500 (sold,) I'm struggling using AF-C and other quirks. I've literally spent DAYS moving fnct buttons around and fiddling.

IMO the Z's are excelling at more "intentional" professional shooting, but aren't the best for fast pickup and on-the-fly photography. I can go pretty deeply into detail with this, as I have a background in UI and Q&A. I'm just not up for the drama that post would create here.

The best way to see/recreate the problem is to put any Z camera on "green" and change it to AF-C. I read a review on the D780 here and it pointed out the same thing, but I'm not sure if that was live-view or not. When you back-button or half-press to activate focusing it jumps all over the scene. in AF-Single it does the same thing, but a bit more unpredictable. Even with IBIS and VR off you can hear it nervously struggling away.

Q. Does the AF-C and Single focusing area using the OVF (versus LiveView) continue to no settle (nervous/jitter/search) or does it behave more like a DSLR?

-- hide signature --

SkyRunR
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
'Out of the darkness there must come out the light.' Bob Marley

skyrunr's gear list:skyrunr's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon Z50 Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR Nikon AP-F 70-300mm F4.5-5.6E +6 more
Nikon D500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow