LaCie 1big dock Thunderbolt 8Tb desktop storage?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
OP mujana Veteran Member • Posts: 7,367
Re: LaCie 1big dock Thunderbolt 8Tb desktop storage?

Peter in Milton wrote:

mujana wrote:

Peter in Milton wrote:

mujana wrote:

Jacques Cornell wrote:

mujana wrote:

Jacques Cornell wrote:

mujana wrote:

As probably many of you, I own and use multiple external hard disks. At the moment the LaCie d2 Thunderbolt (6Tb), which probably is not produced anymore. I love that Thunderbolt speed , because I also work directly on files that are stored on that external. I had a Synology NAS in the past, but I prefer separate desktop hard drives (more for backups).

I' m on a 27" iMac 2019

It' s time for a new desktop harddrive and I' m thinking about the LaCie 1big Thunderbolt 8Tb. I know the Seagate IronWolf Pro disks are inside and that they' re meant to be used in NAS systems. I presume they will do as well as an individual desktop storage device?

Does anyone use one of this series (4Tb/8Tb or 16Tb)?

If so, what are your experiences? All advice is welcome ofcourse.

Thank you!

I put my active projects on a 1TB USB 3.1 Gen 2 SSD for 800MB/s throughput. When they're finished, I move them to hard drives for archiving. This gets me speed for editing and capacity for long-term storage in a cost-efficient manner.

The very latest and fastest spinning-platter hard drives manage only 200-250MB/s burst throughput, which does not saturate even a USB 3.0 bus. Using a faster connection (i.e. USB 3.1/3.2 Gen 1, Gen 2 or Gen 2x2 or Thunderbolt) delivers zero advantage unless you have multiple drives configured as RAID 0 or RAID5. OTOH, SSDs, specifically NVME SSDs, definitely benefit from faster connections, as common ones these days can deliver 2000MB/s, which will saturate even USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 (20Gbps).

All of this is a bit academic, though, as I found no speed improvement in batch exporting after I migrated my catalogs and master image files from a 300MB/s USB 3.0 SSD to the 1400MB/s internal SSD of my 2013 Mac Pro.

Long story short, there's no point in paying more for Thunderbolt on a single-mechanism external hard drive. USB 3.0 or better will deliver its full performance.

Thank you, Jacques!

Simply put:

an external single HD (marketed as Thunderbolt, with Thunderbolt ports and T. cable) connected to the Thunderbolt 3 port on my iMac (which has 2Tb SSD inside), does' t have any speed advantages over an non Thunderbolt external HD (let' s say regular usb-c), connected to this iMac (?)

Correct. USB 3.0, 3.1 or 3.2 Gen 1 (all 5Gbps) or better exceeds the throughput of any single HD I'm aware of.

Great news...I could even buy myself a 14Tb external then (G-Technology usb-c WD Red inside)...or maybe a 10Tb LaCie d2 Professional (usb-c with a IronWolf Pro inside...5 years warranty + 2 years data recovery).

I went through a similar upgrade thought process myself a few weeks back. I considered the LaCie 1Big as a replacement for my (quite old) 4TB LaCie d2, but decided that I would be paying quite a bit just for daisy chaining and an extra SD card reader, features of the drive that I don't need.

That' s right...same thoughts here. I don' t need all those features. I want a fast external drive with large capacity. A drive that can be used for "active" work (as you call it), without any hiccups or waiting. My present LaCie 6Tb thunderbolt 3 does just that...very smooth, like the internal iMac SSD.

So I opted for the LaCie d2 Professional 10TB. Should be fine for many years to come!

I would think so! I read mixt reports about the disk inside that LaCie d2 Professional....IronWolf Pro (with 5 years warranty)? Barracuda? That drive surely is a contender for me. Did you try working from that disk (working on larger photos, maybe working with layers or any other more intensive jobs)?

All I can say is that I have had no problems with any of the LaCie disks I own. And I think the reliability is getting better not worse. (My wife uses one for time machine that practically belongs in a museum.) G-Technology is probably fine as well. I did have a failure on one of these, but it was the drive electronics that failed, and the drive itself worked fine after being put into a new case. It is still going fine after 14 years, only my wife's drive is older.

Wow, that' s a LONG time! My LaCie is from December 2018....

Both strong contenders.

I use PhotoShop and Lightroom, with files that are generally 40MB to 150MB in size. The software moves the file into RAM for actual work, so the perceived impact on the user of image complexity due to the number of layers, etc. does not depend on disk speed, but rather graphics capability, RAM, CPU, and of course how well the software is designed to use these components.

I also could get a G-Technology 14Tb for about the same money. No idea, which would perform better (faster/more reliable/etc.)

If I routinely batch processed large numbers of files after a shoot, and my time was more valuable that it is (I'm retired), I would probably use a smaller external SSD for "active" work like Jacques Cornell discusses, or simply use the internal SSD if it was big enough. Mine is 512GB, but as you have 2TB on your iMac, if you found things to be problematic, you could try out Jacques' strategy. But it doesn't look like you need to.

I don' t really want to do that, and if a new HD drive works like my current LaCie, that should not be necessary at all. To be honest, I hardly notice any speed differences between working on internal files (SSD) and external files (LaCie).

Saves me money (or I can buy extra storage for the same money)

mujana's gear list:mujana's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Sony a7R IV Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow