Sony FE lens advice for newborn photography?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
newdom New Member • Posts: 7
Sony FE lens advice for newborn photography?

Hi, I've recently got a Sony A7 (mk1) with the 28-70 kit lens to take photos of my first child expected any day now.  I'm relatively new to photography but have been reading, learning and practicing so at least I can cope with simple priority modes, raw processing etc.  With the magic of modern electronics I'm actually taking some fairly decent photos!

I've looked up what (studio) photographers seem to recommend for newborn photography, which range from wide angle primes (24-35mm, which seem to be more for capturing families/group shots), to 'nifty fifty' primes, to longer portrait/macro lenses.  I don't have unlimited budget so I ended up getting a used 55mm 1.8 Zeiss lens which gets fantastic reviews, hoping this will cater for most of my needs.  As we're in strict lockdown (UK) for the forseeable future, we're unlikely to have anyone visiting so no need for wider lenses, unlikely to spend much time outdoors (lockdown and it's really cold!), so I thought a decent wide lens would help with indoor photos.  As people have noted elsewhere on this forum using it wide open makes it really difficult for a newbie to focus so I've been practicing with that but I guess I'll have to stop back to f5+ to capture shots more reliably.  I've ordered a decent tripod as well which hopefully should help.  Does this lens with a tripod sound like a sensible idea for a newbie?  It doesn't have OSS, neither does the body, so I've had trouble getting decent photos indoors..

The other lens that gets recommended a lot by studio photographers is a macro lens, for really closeup shots - feet, fingers, eyes etc.  I've been surprised by how far away you have to be to focus with the 55m or the kit lens!  I looked at the Sony FE macro lenses - the 50mm and 90mm.  The 90mm gets fantastic reviews and has OSS, the 50mm less so but it's cheaper.  But from what I've read almost all indoor macro photography will be manual focused, so is there a cheaper option with older adapted lenses?  There are all sorts on ebay - adapted Canon FD 35-105mm macro, Samyang 100mm f2.8 macro etc etc.  Are these relatively easy to use or am I better off just getting the 90mm?  It's expensive but these are for things that can't be re-captured, and if I buy and sell on ebay I guess I can't lose that much in the long run..

TIA for the advice

Dom

newdom's gear list:newdom's gear list
Sony a7 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS
Sony a7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow