200-500 and 200-400 moving forward, e.g., Z.

Started Aug 17, 2019 | Discussions thread
David5833 Senior Member • Posts: 1,726
Re: 200-500 and 200-400 moving forward, e.g., Z.

olindacat wrote:

...Was that eh "P" version? I don't have the P but know it is supposedly much better.

It was a Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di VC, now discontinued. It was as good or better than the comparable Nikon AF-S version and less expensive. I sold it a few years ago. I would probably get the Nikon AF-P version if I was in the market today.

I see you have the 200-500 too. I guess I should give it a try before I knock it. My dilemma is I position myself in places where I am shooting golfers on up to three different holes at nearly the same time (they tee off, putt, chip, etc., at different times, often close to the same moment. So, I'm swinging around to and from trying to get it all.

I guess if you have to zoom quickly through a wide range of focal lengths the 200-500 would be a PITA.  It is a little less than 180 degrees from stop to stop, but as owlseye said, it feels like more.  This is because of its large diameter.  I'm almost always using mine at 500mm, so it isn't a problem for me.

The only way to know if it would work for you is to try it.

David5833's gear list:David5833's gear list
Canon G9 X II Nikon D810 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Nikon D7500 Olympus E-M5 III +12 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow