Playing around with depth of field and I think I finally get it?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
rurikw
rurikw Veteran Member • Posts: 3,319
Re: Playing around with depth of field and I think I finally get it?

LillyRoseAvalos wrote:

Bokeh has been the bane of my existence ever since I jumped from a small 1/2.3 sensor to micro four thirds and later aps c.

It can be a PITA😑

Today is the day I mastered the blur! All with the help of some manual focus. Its so satisfying piecing it together. And I can think of soo many different ways that I can use this creatively it boggles my mind.

Congratulations and have fun!

I used a battery as a reference this made it easier to see which pearls were in focus. and that is what I focused on throughout. I don't believe there is any misaligned focus so any difference in sharpness is because of me stopping down.

This was also a very good test of the sharpness of my 12 60 lens at different f stops

One thing I observed is that the more distance you have behind your focusing point the more blur you get. Why is that?

#1 Not sure I understand your question. Since you seem to have been studying blur, it can hardly come as a surprise that the farther the object is from the focal plane, the blurrier it is?

I get that if you use a telephoto lens you can get more background blur behind something because of compression but this is all at 12mm. hmmm is it because the object in focus is closer to the foreground?

#2 Yes when your focal plane is closer to your camera, your depth of field is also narrower so both #1 and #2 contribute to the greater amount of background blur you see on the photos with the focal plane closer to your camera.

Ah! I just noticed the pearls closest to the camera are blurrier in the photos were the battery is further away too! because the focusing point is further away from them!

#3 Quite. Same as #1 backwards.

The background is blurrier in the photo were the battery is close because the background is further away from the focusing point!

Absolutely + depth of field is narrower.

All assuming the same aperture, changing which is one more way to influence the amount of blur which I assume you know as you mentioned stopping down.

Fyi these are all cropped but the camera has not changed position.

Nice and educating exercise. Main thing you get a feel for how much blur you get at different relative distances and apertures. Did I mention having fun?

rurikw's gear list:rurikw's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 5000 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill +28 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Bob
Bob
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow