LaCie 1big dock Thunderbolt 8Tb desktop storage?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Jacques Cornell
Jacques Cornell Forum Pro • Posts: 13,413
Re: LaCie 1big dock Thunderbolt 8Tb desktop storage?

mujana wrote:

Jacques Cornell wrote:

mujana wrote:

As probably many of you, I own and use multiple external hard disks. At the moment the LaCie d2 Thunderbolt (6Tb), which probably is not produced anymore. I love that Thunderbolt speed , because I also work directly on files that are stored on that external. I had a Synology NAS in the past, but I prefer separate desktop hard drives (more for backups).

I' m on a 27" iMac 2019

It' s time for a new desktop harddrive and I' m thinking about the LaCie 1big Thunderbolt 8Tb. I know the Seagate IronWolf Pro disks are inside and that they' re meant to be used in NAS systems. I presume they will do as well as an individual desktop storage device?

Does anyone use one of this series (4Tb/8Tb or 16Tb)?

If so, what are your experiences? All advice is welcome ofcourse.

Thank you!

I put my active projects on a 1TB USB 3.1 Gen 2 SSD for 800MB/s throughput. When they're finished, I move them to hard drives for archiving. This gets me speed for editing and capacity for long-term storage in a cost-efficient manner.

The very latest and fastest spinning-platter hard drives manage only 200-250MB/s burst throughput, which does not saturate even a USB 3.0 bus. Using a faster connection (i.e. USB 3.1/3.2 Gen 1, Gen 2 or Gen 2x2 or Thunderbolt) delivers zero advantage unless you have multiple drives configured as RAID 0 or RAID5. OTOH, SSDs, specifically NVME SSDs, definitely benefit from faster connections, as common ones these days can deliver 2000MB/s, which will saturate even USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 (20Gbps).

All of this is a bit academic, though, as I found no speed improvement in batch exporting after I migrated my catalogs and master image files from a 300MB/s USB 3.0 SSD to the 1400MB/s internal SSD of my 2013 Mac Pro.

Long story short, there's no point in paying more for Thunderbolt on a single-mechanism external hard drive. USB 3.0 or better will deliver its full performance.

Thank you, Jacques!

Simply put:

an external single HD (marketed as Thunderbolt, with Thunderbolt ports and T. cable) connected to the Thunderbolt 3 port on my iMac (which has 2Tb SSD inside), does' t have any speed advantages over an non Thunderbolt external HD (let' s say regular usb-c), connected to this iMac (?)

Correct. USB 3.0, 3.1 or 3.2 Gen 1 (all 5Gbps) or better exceeds the throughput of any single HD I'm aware of.

Saves me money (or I can buy extra storage for the same money)

-- hide signature --

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
http://jacquescornell.photography
http://happening.photos

Jacques Cornell's gear list:Jacques Cornell's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic LX100 Sony a7R II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 +49 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow