Snowy landscapes and trees

Started 3 months ago | Photos thread
jkjond
OP jkjond Forum Pro • Posts: 10,144
Re: Snowy landscapes and trees

Thanks Bill

Long winded explanation:

The 4th is very immediate, no secrets, 'in your face'. If I was only posting one shot from the day that would likely be the one.

Buuuuut, the first, ah, that one is striving to be something else. It if the first one I processed from the day, the one that intrigued me most. Ultimately, not quite the shot I was after, and makes me wonder if what I wanted actually exists as it is close.

One of the qualities I rate most highly in photography is mystique or intrigue. Shots which asks questions and the viewer either delves into it to make sense of it, or passes it by. Some of the very best shots will ask questions which need to be asked, but can't be answered There's a live thread elsewhere on here where someone is questioning whether a shot needs a story... of course it doesn't, but in most cases the result is a snapshot - nothing wrong with a snapshot unless you want a shot to delve into.

For my shot to have succeeded I'd have had to resolve the 4th element - the main three are quite well set up - I doubt I could have improved on the tree line, but the house and metal fence are separated by a hedge. An element too many which is confusing the relationship between the house and fence. The other way of looking at this is to say the 4th element is debatable, is it the fence or the hedge? The shot would work better with either... but is there an opportunity to make the awkward relationship and contrast between the two the real subject of the shot? Dunno, but it is a five minute walk from here so it is something I'll look at. [edit, just been up there; is there a shot? No, or at least not today!]

When I consider the end result I'm also disappointed in my exact positioning. There is a relationship between the two windows and fence post which would have made a nice face, plus the relationship between the tall chimney stack and post below it isn't fully resolved. I'm only a step to the side short of getting those two areas to work far better.

The shot I was looking for when I took this did not involve the fence/hedge at all, I wanted to be higher up the hill to photograph the house with faint tree line behind, but the hill isn't steep enough to clear the foreground. Much higher and other clutter comes into play - I'm already compromised by an ugly scraggy tree just off to the left. I debated whether to include the end of the house on the right or not, the safe solution would have been to crop it out.

Composition, my approach revolves around content and relationships - it only takes one misplaced element to cock up the whole pic.

If I'd have taken this set 10 years ago and was only posting the one, the first would be my choice - and I'd have happily received no reaction

-- hide signature --

Wedding and fine art photographer https://johnleechstudio.smugmug.com
You are welcome to reprocess and repost my pics on DPR.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow