Would a Nikon Z 50 give a new life to those old DX lenses?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
2yota Regular Member • Posts: 114
Re: new life to 18-200 lens with Nikon Z 50

alpshiker wrote:

I have a bunch of old Nikon lenses that have been sitting for years in a drawer. Some are DX lenses that I liked at the time I was using them on the Fuji S-2 and S-3. I wonder if taking a Nikon Z 50 with FTZ adapter would give those lenses a new life? This would be to have a relatively light an affordable travel kit to give to one of my kids.

Tokina AT-X M35 PRO DX Macro 35mm f2.8

Tokina AT-X Pro SD 12-24mm F4

Nikon 18-200mm VR version I (built in motor)

If experiences or knowledge base are available, should those lenses fully work on the FTZ adapter? Thanks for your feedback!

The main drawback I find to the Z 50 is the non side flippable screen for use on tripod. Maybe there would be a better option?

Paul

Mounting my old Nikon AF-S 18-200mm VR lens (mine is the ver 2 ... but optically identical to your ver 1) to the Z50 certainly breathes new life into this lens.  Specifically speaking for me, it's the focus accuracy throughout is entire zoom range.  Previously I have used this lens on my D3200, D7000, and D7500 but was never able to achieve the same consistency with the DSLR's (despite being able to AF Fine Tune with the D7XXX's).

Besides the 18-200, I've also tried other similar zoom lenses on the Z50 through the FTZ adapter.  Such as the AF-S 18-140, 16-80, and a couple 18-55 kit lens (both AF-S & AF-P variations).   They all work fine.  Yes, coupled with the FTZ adapter, this does become a larger/heavier rig than what many would consider optimized for mirrorless ... but honestly, it's no bigger than a D3XXX series DSLR.

The 16-50mm Z "kit" lens is fantastic.  It was made to work with this Z camera so everything works flawlessly in it.   But to be honest, most of the time I have the FTZ mounted on my Z50 camera and use all my F-mount lenses on it.  When I want to bring a small carry-around camera with me, then that's when I pop the 16-50 Z lens on it and now I have a nice, small, lightweight camera.  It's just so versatile to have the Z50 perform double duty like this.

Here's a picture I took with my Nikon 18-200mm on the Z50:

Z50 with Nikon 18-200mm lens

2yota's gear list:2yota's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Nikon Coolpix P340 Nikon D7500 Nikon Z50 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow