Thinking about upgrading to the A77 ii from the A77, but...

Started Jan 25, 2021 | Discussions thread
Lelly Contributing Member • Posts: 514
Re: Thinking about upgrading to the A77 ii from the A77, but...

Hiya. I moved to the A77ii a few years ago after my venerable A55 died and love the camera. I don't miss the GPS option as I can always map the locations with my  smartphone/portable or car GPS and add the location data to the image later.

I can't say that you will get far better images than with the A77, it depends on many factors but I frequently use the focus tracking on my A77ii to great effect. For lower light situations the MFNR comes in handy where 6 images can be stacked to improve quality with higher ISO. Having auto ISO can also be handy, this was not available on the A55 at least!, where a range can be set. However, the camera tends to choose the highest ISO setting of the range that can degrade image quality. if that is what you are after. (Often it is great to capture the moment no matter what the image quality!!).

I also sympathise with the thought of lugging heavy gear about. Compromises all round eh? Lighter gear often equals decreased image quality. But at least you still get the images. (When I finally find a 100-600mm Tamron super zoom I'll definitely carry it around on a trolley!!)

The A77ii also has the inbuilt flash, regularly used, and the instant landscape function that I find popular. These capabilities seem to be missing on the E-mounts and some other Sony cameras.

Good luck.

Lelly's gear list:Lelly's gear list
Sony a77 II Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Tamron 10-24mm F3.5-4.5 (B023) +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow