Contrast in backlit pics with 500mm f/4 IS II

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Armando J. Rodriguez, Jr. Senior Member • Posts: 1,120
Contrast in backlit pics with 500mm f/4 IS II

Hello!

I am testing and learning to use my newly acquired EF 500mm f/4 IS II, which I purchased used. I found this hawk in a backlit position and I took a few shots. Then I walked around it in circle to put the sun behind my back and attempt better lit images. The hawk stayed on the perch for me!

Below is a backlit image and another with the light from the front (on my back). There is considerable loss of contrast in the backlit image. I have the raw files, so I could add contrast and dehaze in post. However, I was expecting more contrast in the backlit image, given all the coatings and flare control in the 500 IS II.

Are my expectations unrealistic? Is this as good as it gets in terms of haze control with this lens in a backlit situation?

Thanks for your feed back. I have raw images for all these pictures. These are OOC Jpgs.

Armando

obviously this is the backlit image

Sun on my back

-- hide signature --

'Heavens declare the glory of God,' and I hope my pictures will too.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/arodri3/

Armando J. Rodriguez, Jr.'s gear list:Armando J. Rodriguez, Jr.'s gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +4 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow