Scanning negative films (35 and 120)

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
OP Baylock New Member • Posts: 12
Re: Scanning negative films (35 and 120)

Thanks for the feedback, the details and the great pictures !
I like the way you embrace the texture.

Nice to know I can get there with the flatbed scanner. And yes, I'm still contemplating between the Epson V850 or the DSLR solution.
I read everyone with attention and I feel like the DSLR method would be the way to go if I mostly shoot 24x36. If most of my pictures were 6x6, the situation would be different and the epson could win the race.

The reason I like the V850 solution is that I also need a good scanner for illustrations. Because of that, it would have been a solution to two problems at once.
The Epson is ok for the 24x36 format, especially with the fluid technique + holders that handles the height to adjust the focus.

But I think the very high resolution of a DSLR (above 40 MP) + the ability to fine tune the focus length + the process speed makes it a winner for that format. Because I might enlarge the pictures to their max and even though professional scanning is a solution, I hate to rely on others for that. Scanning remains an art more than a technique and I would depend on other people's considerations. That, I don't like very much. I never had much success with that and when it comes to personal work, I have trust issues and I'm kind of a control freak.
Not saying it will not happen but the more room I have to avoid that, the better.
That's where I am right now with my decision but I'm still considering any opinion that might come.I won't buy anything before a month anyway.

About the software:
A few years ago, I had to make a web illustration work with a borrowed V700 (I had to scan hundreds of of magazines for a website but not films ). The client wanted the results to be faithful to the originals (Art magazine). I remember that I tried the Epson software, Vuescan and Silverfast. I tested them all thoroughly for days before starting the actual job and my main objective was to get the pictures perfectly scanned in terms of sharpness, color balance and brightness. I ended up using Silverfast. it was a no brainer at that time.
It's been a while now so I don't remember why it made a difference. And illustrations are not the same thing than negatives, granted.
I figure I will do the same thing this time and test all the available software at first.
As long as I have options, it's fine. It's with some old film scanners limited to one app that I would be skeptical but the latest pieces of hardware give you enough options to try before buy, so it should be fine.
Thanks for your feedback !

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Bob
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow