Anyone using a z7 and coming from M43?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
orca_kkl Regular Member • Posts: 324
Re: Anyone using a z7 and coming from M43?

James Stirling wrote:

This assumes that you would want to get the same DOF as a smaller format as opposed to enough DOF . For example a 24mm lens on FF a common landscape focal length has even at F/5.6 a DOF covering from around 6ft to infinity. The fact that you can get deeper DOF on smaller formats does not necessarily matter. Of course the wider you go the DOF becomes a non-issue a 14mm focal length at F/2.8 will get you from under 4ft to infinity

James, I can related to your "sufficient" DOF comment with my limited experience. I remember my last three trips to China (all before Covid-19 of course) the air quality in both urban and rural areas that I visited  were pretty poor most of the time. Beyond 100 meters (sometimes less) the poor air quality mostly rendered the deeper DOF moot. Only times when the air quality improved when I was there were when it rained, but then the moistures rendered deeper DOF moot also. On all three trips to China I ended using (for the 24-70 mm focal range) from f/4 to f/5.6, with a rare f/8 for an extremely "clear" scene.

Even my trips to Yosemite in years past f/5.6 - f/8 were all I used, for the haze or wildfire smokes limited the clarity.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow