LaCie 1big dock Thunderbolt 8Tb desktop storage?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Peter in Milton Regular Member • Posts: 270
Re: LaCie 1big dock Thunderbolt 8Tb desktop storage?

mujana wrote:

As probably many of you, I own and use multiple external hard disks. At the moment the LaCie d2 Thunderbolt (6Tb), which probably is not produced anymore. I love that Thunderbolt speed , because I also work directly on files that are stored on that external. I had a Synology NAS in the past, but I prefer separate desktop hard drives (more for backups).

I' m on a 27" iMac 2019

It' s time for a new desktop harddrive and I' m thinking about the LaCie 1big Thunderbolt 8Tb. I know the Seagate IronWolf Pro disks are inside and that they' re meant to be used in NAS systems. I presume they will do as well as an individual desktop storage device?

Does anyone use one of this series (4Tb/8Tb or 16Tb)?

If so, what are your experiences? All advice is welcome ofcourse.

Thank you!

I'm wondering why you are planning such a minor upgrade: same interface, only slightly more capacity.  Also, this is a single (non-RAID) drive, and not SSD, so it doesn't really exploit the thunderbolt technology.  It would be interesting to know what transfer speed you are finding at present.

Incidentally, I own a number of LaCie d2 drives (old and new) with different interface technologies and find that reliability has not been an issue.

Peter in Milton's gear list:Peter in Milton's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Leica CL Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow