Half the price and weight, but not quality, of the 55-200mm

Started 2 months ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
JackEtweather
JackEtweather New Member • Posts: 20
Half the price and weight, but not quality, of the 55-200mm

The Fujifilm XC 50-230mm f/4.5-6.7 OIS II lens is half the price and weight of its direct rival, the XF 55-200mm f/3.5-4.8, a slight bit smaller, and conspicuously slower – but that's why I bought it. Comparisons of image quality throughout the zoom range lean in favor of the 55-200, but are of negligible concern to me, considering for what I use such a lens: usually-daylight shots of usually-static subjects – making comparison of speed and reliability of focus a non-issue as well.

I had been using the XF 18-135mm zoom lens, but switched to the 16-80mm f/4. The 50-230 fills-in that reach, with more besides. Yeah, its construction is less-than-premium, but its optics are surprisingly good (as are those of its humble sibling, the XC 16-50). The OIS II version is the one to look for.

I got this lens, new-in-box, from an eBay seller in Hong Kong for less than $250, with tax and shipping; I could have paid, at the least, twice that amount for a lens that weighs twice as much and isn't twice as good.

JackEtweather's gear list:JackEtweather's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm 50-230mm II +3 more
Fujifilm XC 50-230mm F4.5-6.7 OIS II
Telephoto zoom lens • Fujifilm X
Announced: Jan 15, 2015
JackEtweather's score
Average community score
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
afm
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow