Fujifilm X-T4 – in a word: "Finally"

Started 2 months ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
JackEtweather
JackEtweather New Member • Posts: 20
Fujifilm X-T4 – in a word: "Finally"

Having migrated from Panasonic to Fujifilm, due to Fuji's superior color and image quality, I was still my longing for IBIS and Dual IS as I'd known in the Lumix cameras. The X-H1 was almost/not-quite a successor to the G9, in that regard. When the X-T4 was announced, I sold-off the X-H1 to help defray the X-T4. The X-T4's shutter mechanism is also quiet and practically shockless, but its IBIS is much improved. In conjunction with a firmware update to the X-T4 and the 16-80mm f/4 lens, panning is a lot smoother, and stationary handheld shots no longer rock side-to-side. If Fuji would now similarly smooth the motion of tilting shots, that would ice my cupcake.

Here's a list of the features particular to the X-T4 which also compelled me to buy it:

Separate switchable still/movie modes and settings, improved IBIS, quiet/shockless mechanical shutter, true redundant storage between the SD cards, the larger/longer-life battery, USB-C powering from a "PD" battery bank, high-bitrate 4k video, 120/240fps slo-mo video, the Eterna film simulation), autofocus improved such that I'll actually use it, and the street cred of owning the best current APS-C camera. These features (except for the last one) would have lured me to Fujiland back when I had gotten into Panasonic for a three-year-long video project. But better "finally" than never.

Bonus likes:

The HDR setting on the mode dial, completely re-assignable Quick Menu Fn buttons (including the "Q" button), the Silent Video mode whereby the video controls are presented on the touch screen, electronic front-curtain shutter setting, and an eyecup that doesn't fall/break off. I have the "AF-ON" button set for back-button focusing in horizontal position, and the "AE-L" button for likewise, shooting vertically. Also: the camera really turns on, without having to rub its eyes and stretch, when you switch it "on." Fix Movie Crop Magnification is a thoughtful addition, which I just might have occasion to use some time.

What I dislike about the X-T4:

The Bleach Bypass simulation (I can make things look ugly in post, thank you), the "Why?" factor of some image features (i.e., Clarity, Color Chrome Effect), and the dang "flippy" screen. The following also appears in my review of the X-T2:

The X-T4's "flippy" screen is prone to breakage at the joint (ever worked in camera repair?) and is unwieldy and cumbersome, taking too long to set for a shot in some cases. That Fuji had let the vocal minority of vloggers dictate product design was stupid, flouting their own ingenuity demonstrated in the design of the two-way tilting screen on previous models. The narcissism of people who just have to capture images of themselves – or, just of YouTubers in general – should not be enabled. (Suggestion to camera manufacturers: modular, replaceable screen assemblies of different configurations.)

Despite this concession to regression, I went for the X-T4 when opportunity arose. I knock half off the fifth star due to this design flaw.

JackEtweather's gear list:JackEtweather's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm 50-230mm II +3 more
Fujifilm X-T4
26 megapixels • 3 screen • APS-C sensor
Announced: Feb 26, 2020
JackEtweather's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
good
Action / sports
good
Landscapes / scenery
excellent
Portraits
excellent
Low light (without flash)
excellent
Flash photography (social)
excellent
Studio / still life
excellent
= community average
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T4
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow