DSLR Market then and now

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
chambeshi Senior Member • Posts: 2,581
DSLR Market then and now

Contrary to the selected snippits out of a recent Nikon interview reported by NR and Petapixel, the contrary is Nikon could soon hold most of the market in new DSLRs ie most of 97%

It is unfortunate petapixel etc and also forum posters have not registered to read actual interview in Toyokeizai (using google translate). Hirotaka Ikegami, Managing Executive Officer of Nikon, head of Imaging, actually said the future of Nikon's ILC is the mirrorless Z system. It is also obvious they have built up the entirely new Z System by investing several year's in R&D. It's also clear the 2018 launch leapfrogged the scruffier earlier iterations of certain other brands in mirrorless. Nikon probably have vast experience from not only Nikon 1 system, but also 2+ deacdes of point&shoot MILCs.

This is obvious in Nikon's excellent EVF, ergonomics of the Z cameras, and how well the system perform in most genres of photography. And all the Z Nikkors are Very Good to Excellent. This common knowledge to the testers and actual photographers invested into the Z system.

To quote, subject to subtleties of machine-translation: 'The game is just about to begin. We have also prepared the technology and expanded the lineup. I don't want to admit that I'm late, but I've finally got all the bullets, and I'll continue to expand. I am confident that I will rewind." And also build up and expand the video business aiming at not only the movie industry, but they also plan to sell content.

And not only MILC - on the future of Nikon's F system: "....On the other hand, there are many customers who prefer single-lens reflex cameras because of their ease of use, the number of shots, and the lens assets they have built so far. I want to provide products there as well."

And one of Thom Hogan's essays , earlier this week, in light of Canon stating they are pulling back from DSLRs: "The reality today is that there are still two markets, DSLR and mirrorless. In 2021 the DSLR and mirrorless pools will now switch sizes, with one still being the big pool (mirrorless) and the other being the smaller pool (DSLR). Yet Canon and Nikon, who own 97% of the DSLR pool seem to think that they should just get out of that pool completely. Wrong, wrong, wrong. And that's because of customer #2, above."

chambeshi's gear list:chambeshi's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 58mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 400mm f/2.8E FL ED VR +20 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCB
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow