One camera. One lens. One year.

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Sufstreet
Sufstreet Regular Member • Posts: 279
Re: One camera. One lens. One year.

John Crawley wrote:

A friend has come up with a challenge for me (For us if you want to join in…)

Here is the premise. One camera. One lens. One shot a month. Every quarter we will download our three best shots and at the end of the year compare our sets.

He has chosen the Fujifilm 100x V. I am going with either the Leica Q or the Leica X Vario, I have not decided which as of yet. (Nothing in his original challenge suggested that zooms or varios were illegal. It is one lens, after all. This interpretation is still being discussed. I mean, I might even consider the V Lux 5 or 114… Would love to hear some of you guys weigh in on this.)

The exercise starts on February 1. During the span of the year you must cover one of each category below:

Landscape

Silhouette

Still life

Portrait

Action shot of some kind. (Does not have to be sports…)

Street life

Child (Candid not posing)

B&W (in any category)

Wildlife

You cannot combine categories. If you have a great B&W action shot, chose a category for the entry and move on.

That basically gives you a free quarter to choose any subject you wish. (And if you live in Texas, no bluebonnet shots. We have too many of them as it is.)

No special affects. No filters added to lens once competition has started.

Only cropping, and small Lightroom-Photoshop type adjustments such as WB, Exposure, Contrast, Cropping and Sharpness, etc may be used. No special post filters or affects.

If you, in month two, shoot a landscape (for example) and then in month five shoot a better one, you can replace your earlier subject with the more recent one, but you still must cover all of the prerequisites listed above. You may not switch cameras during the year’s exercise*. And if you are using a camera that accepts more than one lens, you must enter only those shots made with your chosen lens.

All photography belongs to the artist who created it and is placed into the challenge only as an intellectual exercise to see how we all have grown under this set of limitations.

*Should you lose a camera due to theft or breakage, a replacement may be substituted, but its MP and lens mm lens should be as close to the original as possible.

We will post a site in this and the Fujifilm forum each quarter for you to enter. If others with other cameras join, we will also place the site entry there as well. THERE ARE NO PRIZES, EXCEPT FOR THE THRILL OF TAKING GREAT PHOTOGRAPHY AND SEEING GREAT PHOTOGRAPHY.

See you at the end of April for our first showing.

Awesome! Fun with small projects.

I'll challenge myself a bit and go with the first generation of X trans sensors, with my XE1 together with the original XF35MMF1.4 .

A lovely reason to bring it with me more often.

Johan

@sufstreet

-- hide signature --

Everywhere is home

Sufstreet's gear list:Sufstreet's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-S10 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow