Scanning negative films (35 and 120)

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Barry Twycross Veteran Member • Posts: 3,976
Re: Scanning negative films (35 and 120)

Baylock wrote:

I was talking about Silverfast. Many reviews I've seen say that upgrading improves the scan quality (by that I mean option to get better quality). But the ultimate upgrade is between 300 and 400 euros.
I know I'm just guesstimating the whole thing right now but I read so much that I basically came here to try to make sense out of all of this.
I will, of course, have a closer look at all the options later on.
I have Vuescan that I use with my small scanner here (V39) and I don't like it that much (iMac/Big Sur). The previews are approximative and the results seem very far from the original in every aspects. Not sure I will like Silverfast better and I should probably learn to master VieScan but for whatever reason, all reviews I've seen with scanners seem to neglect Viewscan and praise Silverfast instead.
I'm open to any suggestion and I thank you for yours, I'm just browsing the options.

I use VueScan on a Mac (currently Catalina), my biggest issue with it is the clunky UI, but if you can work with that, I find it tends to get good results. I recommend it because it'll get a good result without fiddling, which was not my experience with previous scanner software.

I don't know what you're doing to get bad results, there are a myriad of options, and a lot of them can make a big difference. Maybe you could post a bad scan and what you think it's supposed to look like. What scanner are you using?

Barry Twycross's gear list:Barry Twycross's gear list
Panasonic GX850 Fujifilm GFX 50R Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS Leica Nocticron 42.5mm Fujifilm GF 110mm F2 +9 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Bob
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow