D500; 90D; or...?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
CaptainRuss New Member • Posts: 6
D500; 90D; or...?

Recently got back into photography after a long absence. Went with a Canon m50 with the 15-85 and the 55-200 lenses. Not a bad combo but I feel myself wanting more, plus the small size is just not working for me. I don't feel I am too deep into this at this point that I can't do a major switch too painlessly.

I think ML is fine but in my hands I am far more comfortable with DSLR. I don't mind diving in a bit deeper in that range and iI think t will last me for quite some time.

Quickly, my uses: wildlife, landscapes, nature, livestock, and a little macro. I don't do a ton of printing, but if something great comes up I do like to make a hard copy for myself or others. With the right set up maybe I'll do more, who knows...

So, I was researching Canon and was settled on the 90D. The MPs are impressive and the sample shots I see are amazing, however, the one thing I see folks mentioning more than anything is the frustration of AF for BiF. That is something I don't have any interest investing a lot of trial and error time in. I

know I'd figure it out eventually like a lot of people have, but even still, I just keep getting this overall sense of grumbling from users and that speaks volumes especially if you spend a lot of time researching users reviews and comments. DPR is invaluable in this regard.

I was perfectly content to stick with Canon because that's where I left off some years ago and that's why I started there again. Then I started looking at Nikon and discovered the D500. Haven't read one example of anyone grousing about the AF, in fact, that is the one thing commonly praised, particularly for BiF. Great looking samples all around and sounds like a great general purpose little workhorse. Seen it described as a mini D850.

That being said, the MPs in the Nikon are significantly lower, that's where my reluctance comes in, and which brings my main question: would I be giving up a lot, due to lower MP, in IQ or DR by going with the Nikon? I am leaning towards the D500 more than anything else right now because it seems really easy to dive into and use and the overall satisfaction with the AF.

Am I missing anything else in this price range? Are there FF offerings I am overlooking?

I am not married to APS-C, nor any particular brand, but I think I will go crazy if I start doing comps of any other brands beyond these two. I am already feeling fried looking at what I have researched.

Thanks to all, sorry if this is too long.

Canon EOS M50 (EOS Kiss M) Nikon D500 Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow