Curious about why Mirrorless

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
thunder storm Senior Member • Posts: 6,504
Re: Curious about why Mirrorless

Lori2 wrote:

When Mirrorless first came out, it sounded amazing because it would be so much smaller than full size DSLR's. I bought an M50 a couple of years ago, (and I admit, it's almost too tiny, but sure fun to carry around.) I've always dreamed though of having full frame. But I like the smaller form factor of apsc, so have never jumped to full frame. But when the coming of mirrorless, and the Canon RP, I've finally decided to take the leap.

It's almost to big for me and most of the lenses are outside of my comfort zone. And looking at the R5 and R6, those are getting back closer to the size of a DSLR.

So is there another draw to mirrorless? It doesn't seem that much smaller in the end.

The mirrorless autofocus of the RP is better in a lot of cases, and with the R6 and R5 in almost all cases.

A mirrorless camera shows you how your exposure will look in the final image.

You can also choose to illuminate the view in the viewfinder when shooting in dark situations with a speedlite.

For me mirrorless never was about a small size and weight, even when my M50 was my main camera. Although, as a second camera I do find it convenient to have a small camera as second camera.

I'm planning on getting the RP, the kit lens and maybe the 50mm 1.8.

How about the RF 35mm f/1.8?

Hopefully find an adapter for the few full frame lenses I have.

What full frame lenses do you already have?

That way, I'm still pretty small but have the ability to use other lenses as needed.

For example, hopefully someday I'll get to go to Israel again, and I ordered a used Tokina 16-28 2.8 for inside shots in tight spots. The lens looks like a beast, but I'll leave it in the bus if there's no need for it. But for portability and general use, use the 50. Heck back in the 70's, all I had for my AE-1 was the 50, a 28, and 135 telephoto. And was perfectly happy!

You might have a look at the EF 28mm f/2.8 IS USM if that's your focal length. I have the 24mm version, and although an adapter is needed, it's still not a heavy bulky combo. And it has IS.  Used ones can be affordable too.

Lori

-- hide signature --

I love 50mm (equivalence)

thunder storm's gear list:thunder storm's gear list
Canon EOS M6 II Canon EOS R5 Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 35-80mm f/4.0-5.6 III Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM +16 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow