Got my R6, disappointed with AF performance on EF Sigma 150-600mm lens for bird photography

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
BirdShooter7 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,371
Re: Got my R6, disappointed with AF performance on EF Sigma 150-600mm lens for bird photography

QSMcDraw wrote:

In some cases, you are right, f/7.1 is very limiting not only with light, but subject separation. But not in nearly as many cases as I had imagined. Google as many shots of birds, etc. as you like taken with 400mm and longer lenses, and I believe you will see the overwhelming majority were taken at over f/8. So, again, a compromise.

The R5 largely makes up for the low-light with its high-ISO performance. As for separation, that can be tougher, but if fairly close to a subject, it isn't a big issue except when the backgrounds are very close and busy.

I believe so many longer focal-length wildlife photos are taken at f/11 and higher for the depth of field.

I'd love to have a 600mm f/4 with me when out on long hikes, but think of the expense, the weight, and the need for a tripod and gimbal...And then think how many times I'd be stopping down to get the subject in proper focus. And consider also how far away my subject would need to be, and how few options with framing compared to having a 100-500mm zoom, which has a great MFD.

It definitely depends on your uses.  I’m still surprised by how quickly the light fades and even f/4 and f/2.8 lenses are struggling for enough shutter speed even at ISO 12,800.  Every bit of performance counts.  However, there are plenty of times when f/8 or f/11 will do fine.  Just really depends on what you’re after.

-- hide signature --

Some of my bird photos can be viewed here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/gregsbirds/

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow