Mirrorless - stick with Nikon or switch to Sony?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
dpreader1998 Junior Member • Posts: 38
Mirrorless - stick with Nikon or switch to Sony?

So I was just tossing up some ideas...I have a Nikon D810 (full frame) for some years but not really using it much. Just about the only time I would pick it up is when I need to use the 70-200/2.8 for sports and sometimes portrait (such a fantastic lens), and in rare occasions I use the 16-35/4 for cityscape. The 24-70/2.8 and 85/1.8 are mostly unused.

I found myself with Olympus EM1ii (micro 4/3) a lot, due to form factor and IBIS (I regularly shot waterfalls handheld). When paired with 12-100/4 it is so versatile and portable (equivalent to 24-200). I also have the 12-40/2.8, 40-150/2.8, 25/1.2, and 60/2.8 macro.

Lacking IBIS, articulating screen, and bulkiness, are the primary reason I don't use D810 as much. But there are times I wish higher image quality from the Olympus. It's probably time to look into a full frame mirrorless solution.

I think Nikon Z6ii compares with Sony A7iii, and right now a Z6ii body + FTZ adapter cost about the same as A7iii + 24-105/4.

• Z6ii - can re-use F mount lenses, but eventually I would want to refresh to native Z mount lenses. Effectively there's no savings from not having to buy new lenses, just deferred.
  • A7iii - 24-105/4 is a good all rounded lens to get started, or the Sigma 24-70/2.8 is just a little more. Perhaps this is an opportunity to switch to Sony? Nikon is playing catch up when it comes to mirrorless, a part of me thinks that I should not send any more into Nikon systems (no offence).

Going with Z6ii means I can hold on to the Nikon lens for longer. Going with A7iii means I can sell Nikon to buy Sony lenses. Either way I will probably sell some of the Olympus gears.

What do you think? Nikon or Sony?

Cheers!

dpreader1998's gear list:dpreader1998's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Olympus E-M1 II Sony a7 III Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +8 more
Nikon D810
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow