Value determined by price and performance

Started 1 month ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
d2f Regular Member • Posts: 245
Value determined by price and performance

Owner of both Sigma 150-600 C and Sony 200-600 G. Summary, for the price the Sigma lens is a better value. Camera used Sony a7iii with latest firmware.

Comparison Sony Pros: easier and faster to change focal length, AF appears to be slightly faster, image colors appear to be different, tripod foot replaceable and internal focusing.  While the lens optical stability does appear to be slightly better it not used when the lens is mounted on a tripod.

Comparison Sony Cons: Cost. Slightly heavier. Less zoom range 3X vs 4X, compressed storage length slightly longer.

Commentary: Taking into account optical performance range, weight and cost Sigma comes out on top. This maybe why Sony reviewers on YouTube are careful to compare the Sigma Sports 150-600 lens to this particular Sony lens. If they instead used the Sigma C model their comparison would show the Sigma lens a better buy for the non-pro and or budget minded users. Yet with all that said I am keeping the Sony lens and gave away the Sigma lens, why? Foolish with money pretty much sums it up, as we all are to one degree or another. I convinced myself that I need the slightly better autofocus and after replacing the tripod foot with a Wimberley found the lens functional better suited to my needs.  Having that white exterior finish that screams want to be professional does address my ego as well.

d2f's gear list:d2f's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Sony Alpha NEX-5N NEX-5T Sony a6000 Sony a7S +52 more
Sony FE 200-600mm F5.6-6.3 G OSS
Lens • Sony FE
Announced: Jun 11, 2019
d2f's score
Average community score
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow