Why most cameras as default, forcing you to press a button for changing ISO via dial?

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ms18
ms18 Senior Member • Posts: 2,963
Why most cameras as default, forcing you to press a button for changing ISO via dial?

Most people and even camera manufactures might jump and answer it like below
So you won't accidently change it

But you could change shutter speed as well as aperture also accidently which will mess the exposure in same way. Why camera manufactures allow to change them directly but not ISO.

I shoot 98% of the time manual mode now because I use EVF not OVF. I decide what shutter and What aperture i want for the session. Because other than exposure these two can mostly affect the feel of the image as they also adjust DOF and control motion. But ISO only affect the noise along with light level.

So when light go down or up I want to adjust ISO first. But by default most camera ask you to press a button first. Even if you could assign it to a dial still I'll have an unused button most of the time i can't assign to some thing else.
I really like the ISO dial in Fuji.

Fuji ISO dial

But even Fuji for low end camera like X-T20 I use they require you to press a button before hand. The newer X-S10 they have a dedicated ISO button. Doh.

I think the idea of changing ISO less often come from Film Era in my opinion. You put a film then you only have Shutter and Aperture to play with.

Now considering we have EVF (so manual shooting coming very often even with beginners) and we no longer insert films in digital cameras. I think changing ISO should be given same priority as Shutter and Aperture.
I would even love a mode dial position for Auto ISO. Because that would be the best mode to shoot with. But sadly in all cameras that is burred under menus.

-- hide signature --

If you like my pictures follow me on Insta
https://www.instagram.com/mahidoes/

ms18's gear list:ms18's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +1 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Fujifilm X-T20
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow