PP Workflow on M43 RAW files

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
rogerstpierre Veteran Member • Posts: 4,710
PP Workflow on M43 RAW files

Just thought I'd share my recent experience with workflow. In the past I always used Oly Workspace to PP my RAW as it includes all the more recent lenses correction and was pretty happy with the result in general.

Having recently acquired the new ACDSee Ultimate 2021 I dabbled with my RAW processing workflow. Unfortunately it does not have the lens correction for the 12-45/4, I wish it did, but when it comes to details and sharpness, I see a definite improvement.

Normally for optimum result I processed in Oly W to TIFF with default settings for sharpening and NR, but as details goes I really get the best result PP the RAW in ACDSee, saving to TIFF and doing NR and sharpening with Topaz AIs.

The following image compares a TIFF out of Oly W with no NR or sharpening (image on the right), subsequently PP'd with Topaz AIs (in other words the best I can do with Oly Workspace) and the same PP'd in ACDSee (on the left), exported to TIFF which appears quite noisier initially, and also PP'd in Topaz AIs for NR and sharpening just the same. The difference in details is quite remarkable IMO, it's like getting an entirely new lens.

100% screen capture. Left ACDSee to Tiff, Right Olympus Workspace to TIFF with NR Off, both NR'd and Sharpened in Topaz Denoise and Sharpen AI afterward.

On a side note, when comparing cameras/lenses on DPR we don't know what PP was done. It is obvious from this result that it can make a huge difference. Not all camera's images can be PP'd the same way for optimum result, hence if DPR uses the same workflow for all images, there is potentially obvious misleading results used for comparison. Just to say an image was processed from RAW isn't enough to be comparable. Different software will lead to different results for different cameras and one has to pick the best match for optimal result.  As we are comparing such minute differences between recent camera images with a "magnifying glass" to speak of, one PP process vs another can completely reverse one's observations as to which is best. Keep that in mind.

___
Roger

rogerstpierre's gear list:rogerstpierre's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm F1.8 Olympus 12-45mm F4 Pro +4 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Lan
Lan
Lan
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow