Upgrading QNAP NAS (2x) - tough choices

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
calson Forum Pro • Posts: 10,521
Re: Upgrading QNAP NAS (2x) - tough choices

I use the 951x which has provision for adding SSD cache drives but as a single user the gain it trivial as I do not access the same files again and again. This model does have a 10GB Ethernet port and that is what I attach directly to my workstation while the 1GB port on the QNAP is hooked into a Cisco switch that has 10 ports.

Important to have a good switch as many will support 1GB on one or two ports but not on the rest of their ports concurrently. The processor chips will overheat and shut down the port.

The NAS processor and available RAM has a big impact on throughput as does the RAID configuration. I am using RAID 5 with the 951x with its 5 drives for best performance chose best performance over being able to recover with 2 failed drives.

QNAP has a great deal of useful information as does Synology for selecting a NAS for a particular use.

When I was doing massive batch processing jobs I installed two mirrored drives inside the workstation so they could run off the bus and not have reduced throughput from an external port and all the overhead involved with wrapping and unwrapping data containers.

-- hide signature --

"It is horrifying that we have to fight our own government to save the environment." Ansel Adams

calson's gear list:calson's gear list
Nikon D5 Nikon D850
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow