GLASS GLASS GLASS

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
draacor
draacor Senior Member • Posts: 1,761
GLASS GLASS GLASS

I have been an R shooter for a bit now. I also shoot with the Nikon D500 and 200-500 for wildlife. I am primarily a landscape shooter where the more MP the better so I had been looking at upgrading to the R5. However the R5 is so expensive right now I have decided that I would be better served by investing in top glass for now.

So far I have:

RF15-35L

RF24-105L

RF35 1.8

RF70-200 f2.8L - on order will arrive today!!

My next lens purchase is to replace the 24-105 with the 24-70 f2.8 to round out the trinity. I just felt that with the Nikon basically covering the wildlife and BIF going to the R5 seemed like i would only benefit from higher mp. But higher MP brings with it its own challenges like rather huge file sizes to work with. Not to mention i would have to replace the 200-500 which is a tall order considering the 100-500 RF is so damn expensive.

On a side note:

Its amazing that i actually use the 24-105 more than my 15-35 for landscapes. A lot of people do not realize this but it's rather difficult to get good shots with an ultra wide. A lot of elements come into play and the entire scene has to work whereas with a 24-105 you can zoom in and dynamically cut out elements that may not work with others. The perspective is a little less distorted as well. I do however love my 15-35 for Astro. The 2.8 helps a lot in this regard.

here is a shot i took with my 15-35

Heres an Astro shot i took recently

Here is one with my 24-105

Basically what I am saying is glass is everything and the body is secondary. Maybe they will come out with an R mark II that would not be quite as expensive as the R5. Who knows what the future holds.

-- hide signature --

Aaron Smith
Wolfe Photography
www.nvwolfe.com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/finalimpact/

draacor's gear list:draacor's gear list
Nikon D500 Canon EOS R Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM +2 more
Canon EOS R5 Nikon D500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow