goldeneyes munch crawdads

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
dzba Senior Member • Posts: 1,606
goldeneyes munch crawdads

enjoying the variety of posts here lately     here are some of what I've shot recently.

lead drake swimming away from another who wants to snatch his prey

same pair of drakes, crawdad more visible

they took a break from stuffing themselves.  I lost track how many they caught and ate.

they went through a process to eat them, some took more work before they were swalled

the drakes would reposition some of their catch multiple times before swalling their prey

with the larger sized 'dads, they went through a process to disable their prey before trying to swallow

part of the process included beating the water with their very lively prey

I did not realize these ducks have small teeth like grippers on the sides of their bills, this one was still attempting to escape, it would not go down easily

he did get this one down, eventually.  The drake turned away from me when he finally was able to swallow this 'dad.

This is my 1st time being able to get this close to these usually very skittish birds, and also my 1st time to see them eating crawdads.

Hope you enjoyed these,

thanks for looking,

Mike

there were 2 drake goldeneyes feasting on 'dads

-- hide signature --

"in a world where you can be anything, Be Kind ", borrowed from a Winnie the Pooh tee shirt.

dzba's gear list:dzba's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ30 Canon EOS Rebel T4i Nikon D7500 Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 II Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +2 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow