en-el15c battery charging

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Digital Shutterbug Veteran Member • Posts: 5,269
Re: en-el15c battery charging

Ernie Misner wrote:

Digital Shutterbug wrote:

Ernie Misner wrote:

So does the new "c" type battery fit in the older less powerful chargers then? I'm all for a slower charger that does not get the battery so warm. The peak charge voltage should be the same but just take a bit longer.

All 4 of the EN-EL15 version batteries (EN-EL15, a, b and c) are still listed on Nikon's USA website. The MH-25 and MH-25a are also listed. If you look at the description of each battery, the charger that can be used is listed. For the original version, the MH-25 is listed. For all others, only the MH-25a is listed as the proper charger.

Going a step further, I looked at the descriptions of the 2 chargers. The MH-25 only lists the original EN-EL15. The description of the MH-25a is obviously out of date. It only lists the EN-EL15 and EN-EL15a. No mention of the b and c versions. Of course, we know that is the correct charger for those b and c versions.

Now, does that mean you can't use the older charger with the a, b and c versions? I don't know the correct answer to that. It seems unlikely to me that Nikon would not list all combinations that could be used.

Thank you for the info and link. I have an MH-25a sitting here and it says 8.4V and 1.2A output. Do you have an MH-25 handy?

https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/photography-accessories/mirrorless-camera-accessories.page

No, I don't think I ever had an MH-25. I can't remember about that.

Just as a simple charger, I see no reason you couldn't charge a newer model battery with the older charger. The problem is that batteries and chargers are not the simple devices of yore. They aren't simple constant current or constant voltage chargers. They are much more sophisticated and may have some compatibility issues when not used as the manufacturer intended.

I agree with your previous comments. I would be in favor of using a charger that charged the battery at a slower rate when I'm not in a hurry. The old formula of C/10 mA, where C is the battery capacity expressed in mAh, was a safe charging rate that didn't stress batteries and ran little risk of overheating them. Li-ion batteries have changed all of that. Combined with the fact that people want everything NOW, means engineers are pushing the envelope to charge our batteries as quickly as possible.

When I think about it, I can't really find fault with the modern chargers and batteries. I typically get years of usage out of even relatively cheap aftermarket batteries. My biggest fear of charging Li-ion batteries is starting a fire. As most all of us know, these little batteries are horrible in that regard. I'm careful about where I place them while charging. Good batteries have builtin circuitry that communicates with the charger and reduce/stop charging the battery if it overheats, but caution is still advised.

To cut to the chase, I would be nervous about charging the newer versions of the EN-EL15 batteries in the MH-25 charger unless Nikon has documented it is okay. I have not seen that statement.

-- hide signature --

Steve

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow