Wifi on 5dmkIV totally unstable - assistance needed

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
Enders Shadow
Enders Shadow Veteran Member • Posts: 3,366
Re: Wifi on 5dmkIV totally unstable - assistance needed

maboleth wrote:

Thanks, actually I do connect like you did.

My PC does not have a wifi itself, but since my router does (2 in 1), I essentially connect the camera to the router by WPS and then via ethernet EOS Utility finds it and connects it.

Your description suggested you were connecting directly between the camera and PC. As WPS is horribly insecure and vulnerable to trivial attacks, it's always disabled on my routers.

The few times I tried it before, there were never problems maintaining connection between the 5D4 and router. I Just tested again. Manually selecting my network then shot a few pictures remotely using the EOS utility. Used both a Win 10 desktop & a Win 10 laptop. Not surprising, standard DHCP IP assignment produced immediate reconnections. Also tested with my 80D & 90D. No issues other than entering my long random WiFi password. Doesn't appear to be any connection related issues with the camera firmware or Canon software.

If you monitor the WiFi connections on your router, does it show the connection to the camera then suddenly disappear? Does it indicate IP assignment and signal strength?

I lose no internet connection and my PC is connected to the router by ethernet/lan port.

You shouldn't lose internet access. The camera is only a wireless client on your network. You only lose internet access when connecting directly to the camera in hotspot mode.

However, so far the connection was unstable and something disconnected it exactly at the "right" time. And I still cannot find what and why.

Difficult for anyone to troubleshoot these sort of problems remotely. As i mentioned, there doesn't appear to be any Canon related issues.

-- hide signature --

Phil

Enders Shadow's gear list:Enders Shadow's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Olympus Tough TG-3 Fujifilm X30 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Nikon D500 +19 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow