Is the specified focal length in camera for jpgs or for raws?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
LillyRoseAvalos
LillyRoseAvalos Forum Member • Posts: 67
Is the specified focal length in camera for jpgs or for raws?

I took a photo at the widest end with my Panasonic fz82  also known as the fz80 I believe  in both raw and jpg but the raw shows a noticeable amount more of the scene that I was capturing why is this?  And maybe a more pertinent question related to this.

Is the focal length the camera specifies for raw or for a jpg? Or maybe its easier  if I put it this way  is the jpg 20mm like the camera says or is it  only 20mm for the raw? Is there a way I can find out if a photo is actually the focal length that it  specifies without using a different camera and compare?

I have not taken photos at every focal length but could the same phenomena show up during other focal lengths as well?  I couldn't find a way to share a raw photo so I just screenshot the raw instead as a jpg. I hope that will be okay.

-- hide signature --

Live in the sunshine where you belong

LillyRoseAvalos's gear list:LillyRoseAvalos's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70 Panasonic FZ80/FZ82 Sony a6000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Canon EOS M100 +1 more
Panasonic FZ80/FZ82
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow