Wifi on 5dmkIV totally unstable - assistance needed

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
Enders Shadow
Enders Shadow Veteran Member • Posts: 3,370
Re: Wifi on 5dmkIV totally unstable - assistance needed

maboleth wrote:

I didn't fix it yet, but what I found so far:

1. When camera isn't paired with the PC, but is connected to the modem, the camera remains connected for as long as it turned on - forever.

2. If camera-pc are paired but no eos utility is started, the connection remains exactly 60 seconds. Then it's automatically disconnected by something...

3. If camera is detected by eos utility, connection lasts exactly 73 seconds after disconnect happens automatically.

After the camera to PC connection drops, does the PC connect to your router? If so, this sounds like a classical case of competing WiFi connections.

Your typical WiFi client is "promiscuous" and will search for and switch to a stronger/cleaner connection. Also, newer WiFi clients are programed to prefer 5GHz connections as they can potentially offer faster transfers. A connection to a host without internet access (such as a camera) also seems to trigger a check of available stored networks. This sometimes can be delayed or prevented if the connection is kept "busy".

Disable the WiFi on your router and try the camera to PC connection again.

Don't remember connecting to one of my computers over WiFi. A few times I did connect a camera to my router then access the camera from a computer over a ethernet connection. Just simple experiments to see how well it worked. Never did anything useful. I do occasionally use WiFi to connect to my phone while out shooting.

-- hide signature --

Phil

Enders Shadow's gear list:Enders Shadow's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Olympus Tough TG-3 Fujifilm X30 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Nikon D500 +19 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow