Pentax/Ricoh vs Nikon strategy

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
iso rivolta Contributing Member • Posts: 727
Pentax/Ricoh vs Nikon strategy

These are my comments regarding an interesting interview with Hirotaka Ikegami, Managing Executive Officer at Nikon. https://petapixel.com/2021/01/19/nikon-to-focus-on-mirrorless-as-it-anticipates-historic-720m-loss/

Nikon has new and competent Z-mount cameras but in parallel supported the F-mount DSLR system with new cameras and lenses. Now Nikon are expecting historic losses and are in the position to admit that their losses are related to the slow transition to the mirrorless formula and to declare that “for the time being, we will concentrate on mirrorless cameras”. I guess they hope this will instill more confidence in the Z system. Supporting both DSLR and mirrorless with new products is not profitable in today's market and creates confusion. I know that many Nikon Z fans are insisting the company should let DSLRs die and concentrate the resources on one side.

The uncertainty can have this effect: some of the people wanting F-mount will not buy because is likely that Nikon will get out of DSLRs, while some of the people looking for mirrorless will not buy Z-mount because Nikon is not "all-in" and may not respond fast enough to competition.

My opinion is that, as a minor manufacturer, Ricoh made the right choice by sticking with DSLRs and not making a risky investment in a new system. Now they have the chance to become the sole manufacturer announcing new DSLRs. I think this can be a good niche if they don't overprice their cameras.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tex
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow