R5 Buffer Clearing

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
TigTillinghast Regular Member • Posts: 498
Re: THANK YOU, I was looking for someone to validate it.

Tazz93 wrote:

TigTillinghast wrote:

Tazz, you're really discovered something. I've replicated the test. When shooting at 20 fps (13 bit), I clear the cache in 4.3 seconds on average with an Anglebird XT 660 GB card. Using just the EVF, it clears in just under 20 seconds.

The difference is not subtle.

This explains some of the inconsistency I sometimes found when doing the CFexpress card review.

I threw out a lot of data and redid tests completely when I found some odd inconsistencies. My guess is that my hand at the time may have been passing before the EVF's face detector, and temporarily slowing things down at that moment. This is extremely helpful knowledge to me.

Thanks!

Tazz93 wrote:

Sorry to keep beating this dead horse, but I finally found something that is repeatable. I've found HOW to delay the clearing of the buffer and HOW to speed up the clearing of the buffer.

Slow Clearing - Seems to be dependent on using the EVF only during the clearing process (I found I had to turn the LCD in so it can't be used at all when using the "AUTO 1" Display mode). This occurs in EVF-only display mode as well. I did test this with my eye to the EVF the whole time and it was indeed slow as well. Oddly, you can see the difference in the buffer counter's speed in the EVF, so its is likely causing a true slow down.

Fast Clearing - Seems to be dependent on having the LCD active during buffer clearing, Live View or just playback.

You can mix and match, and it will "prorate" the remaining time depending on the mode, EVF slows it down, LCD speeds it up.

Please, can some of you try this and tell me if yours is the same.

Basic settings: f/8, 1/2000th, ISO 100, E-Shutter (to mitigate the wear on the shutter for testing).

I didn't want to keep beating a dead horse, but I was looking for someone to test it. I reported it to Canon and they did ask they additional info, so I assumed they were looking in to it.

I imagine its a code issue, but there is a outside chance that it is a hardware/processing issue. The EVF takes a lot of processing to keep running at 120fps.

All things considered, this is a little annoying when I have to take my eye away from the camera to speed up the clearing. But that said, the buffer is pretty big so its rarely necessary.

I think it's unlikely to be a power/processing issue that is deliberate. It could be a non-deliberate effect of the larger power draw when the EVF is operational. That could have seemed acceptable because there were no outwardly appearing effects.

If you think on it, it's pretty seldom you get to the end of an R5 buffer.

I have to figure that I've been shooting this camera for 6 months, and I didn't notice what you've noticed. If they had a month to test things, they probably just missed it too.

-- hide signature --

Contributor to camnostic.com

TigTillinghast's gear list:TigTillinghast's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Panasonic Lumix DC-S1R Sony a7R IV Canon EOS R5 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow