Should you use a pancake lens?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
thunder storm Senior Member • Posts: 6,568
Re: Should you use a pancake lens?

Advi wrote:

David Bergman explains what is a pancake lens and shows its favorite one.

Try to guess which one is it.

Check his video below

https://youtu.be/dxRm83qZnZY

And you? How often do you use a pancake lens?

I got the ef-s 24mm f/2.8 stm for 85 euro.  My daughter uses it, I don't need it anymore. And I got the EF 40mm f/2.8 stm recently for 70 euro. The 35mm f/2.0 IS USM is probably the better lens, however, I was wondering if those 5mm make a huge difference when limiting myself to only one prime.  I use it on the adapter, so it's "pancakeness" doesn't make a lot of sense.

After some research here, I started my lens kit with a EF-M 11-22mm, EF-M 18-150 mm and my vampire lens (as my daughter calls it) EF-M 22mm.

That 22mm is a nice lens, however, a pancake design has compromises. If you're o.k. with that and you love the size >> go for it.  But there's no denying the ef-m 22mm hasn't a great T-stop as it vignettes like crazy wide open. It's almost like using an f/2.8 lens. As a full frame equivalent that's about f/4.0.

-- hide signature --

I love 50mm (equivalence)

thunder storm's gear list:thunder storm's gear list
Canon EOS M6 II Canon EOS R5 Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 35-80mm f/4.0-5.6 III Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM +16 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow