Canon Cameras (high speed shooting)

Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
Chas Tennis Contributing Member • Posts: 897
Re: Canon Cameras (high speed shooting)

I have used a Canon Powershot ELPH 110 HS for high speed video at 240 fps.

I have also used a Casio EX - FH 100 for 120-420 fps videos.

Tennis strokes are my main use of high speed video.

The old Casio is much better because it has higher resolution at 240 fps and the shutter speed can be manually set down to 1/40,000 second/ 25 microseconds. The fast shutter greatly reduces motion blur.

You should separately think in terms of recording fps and playback fps. The terms 'high speed video' usually applies to recording and the terms 'slow motion' applies to playback.

Each of the above cameras records at the set high speed frame rates. For example, 30, 60, 120, 240, 420 fps etc. Most cameras reduce resolution for high speed video recordings.

These cameras have very considerable processing on the camera. I always wanted an output video that played back at 30 fps. The camera in high speed video mode would take all frames that it recorded and create a 30 fps output video. I believe it has other video output frame rates on the camera that can be selected. I would not expect that any frames would be lost with high speed recording. (Note - the frame rates in different countries depend on the electrical power frequency. In the USA, we have 60 Hertz power and in Europe and other countries, many have 50 Hertz. Electrical power causes lighting to flicker in videos that are not the proper recording fps. Search or ask about more information on electrical power, lighting and cameras in each country. )

After that first video processing inside the camera, from the raw video signal to the output video format, anytime the video is 'post' processed by video processing software it may ask you what format you want the output to be in. Most people in the USA would record high speed video in multiples of 30 fps so that lighting that varies with the electrical power frequency would not cause flickering. Basically, record high speed at any frame rate offered on the camera and select the output frame rate for the most commonly used frame rate in your country.

There is another big issue and that is posting on Youtube and Vimeo. Youtube stores its videos with certain numbers of horizontal lines. There is a table that shows these line counts. Youtube processing will 'downsize' the uploaded video to save it on YT. For example, suppose some of these YT line counts were .....480, 388 and 240. If your video were 360 horizontal lines - less than 388 - Youtube would downsize it to 240 horizontal lines and save it. There is a huge loss of resolution. Workaround - To avoid this you can upsize you video using a video program in Windows 10. Let say you save your 360 line video to 420 lines. Then Youtube will save your video as 388 . I have done this, and to eye, the video has not lost resolution. I believe that I have posted on this workaround.

My Canon Powershot camera for 240 fps has a very low resolution output video, 240 lines, and the fastest shutter speed isf around 1/2000 second in bright sunlight. Exposure control is automatic. This means that the smallest motion blur will occur in bright sunlight.

The Casio FH-100 is outstanding because it has a very fast shutter speed that can be manually set. This last spec is hard to find - Manual Shutter Speed Control.

Chas Tennis

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow