Advice for a Newbie

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Baso97 New Member • Posts: 10
Advice for a Newbie

Hi, I recently got into astrophotography, and wanted to give it a shot in my backyard to see what I could capture with limited gear. I happen to have a Nikon D750 and some lenses, the Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 being one of them (also the longest one), but obviously no tracker and I live on the edges of Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, which I would assume a Bortle 8-9 sky. On top of that a 4m tall and very bright led street lamp happens to be just a dozen meters away from my backyard.

Seeing that I have no tracker and I'm using 200mm lens, I couldn't go over 1 second exposures, so I set the camera up to take pics of the Orion region at 1sec f/4 ISO630 and eventually ended up taking roughly 700 pics over an hour. Took a bunch of dark frames and flats, which I had never done before and put them into Sequator accordingly. The first image turned out blurry, despite having gone through all the frames and binned the ones with trailing in it. I figured it might be the flats I took are bad, so I took them out, and got a better result. The image was sharp. Enough at least.

I went into PS and after so many times starting over, eventually settled for one result. I just couldn't enhance it any better, no matter what I did. Is it normal to get such a mediocre pic of Orion in a Bortle 8-9 location with 1 sec exposures? Or did I just fail at PS? Mind you, I'm rather new to PS, still learning techniques.

Again, roughly 700x 1s f/4 ISO 630 untracked pics

Bortle 8-9 backyard with big white street lamp not far from me and waxing moon in the sky

Pros, help out a new guy!

Here is one of the light frames (original crop), to get an idea of how I was shooting. Obviously converted to JPG for the post.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D750
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow