Tech questions from new X-S10 owner

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
FoleyWiz Junior Member • Posts: 42
Tech questions from new X-S10 owner

Based on helpful recommendations from folks on this forum, I just bought a Fujifilm X-S10, which is not only my first mirrorless camera, but also my very first non-film camera. Needless to say, I'm simultaneously thrilled and overwhelmed. Having grown up with film SLRs and light meters, it'll take me a while to get used to an electronic viewfinder, being able to change the ISO for every shot if I want to, and the myriad other technological conveniences that are built into the camera.

I'm now working my way through the 354-page user's manual, trying each of the available settings and options on the camera so that I can figure out what works best for me, and I've run into a couple of snags that I hope somebody will be able to unravel for me:

1) Checking Focus

I've set my focus mode to AF-S, my AF mode to Single Point, and both AF+MF and Focus Check to "ON." According to p.78 of the manual, if I run into situations in which the camera can't focus for one reason or another (lack of subject/background contrast, dark subjects, etc.), I can press the center of the focus lever to zoom in, then adjust the focus manually using the focus ring on my lens. One press of the lever is supposed to zoom in a little bit; a second press is supposed to zoom in further; and a third press is supposed to cancel the zoom.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but for me there's only one zoom level—a second press doesn't zoom in any farther. Either way, I don't see how it's physically possible to maintain a good grip on the camera while simultaneously 1) holding the shutter halfway down so as to lock the focus point; 2) moving my right thumb down to press the focus lever; and 3) and turning the lens's focus knob with my left hand. Each time I've tried, I've ended up accidentally pushing the shutter button all the way down and taken a picture.

Similarly, I see on p.80 that I can zoom in to check my focus by simply turning my lens's focus ring. Even then, though, I have to reach down and press the focus lever if I then want to exit the zoom and double-check my framing before taking the picture, and that's awkward to do while maintaining a hold on the hand grip. So, I'm wondering … is the "Checking Focus" feature intended to be used only when the camera is on a tripod, or have I totally misinterpreted the directions?

2) "Stuttering" in EVF & LCD

I have my camera set to "Eye Sensor" mode. Every once in a while, the EVF or the LCD looks to be visually "stuttering" as I pan the camera while I'm in AF-S, Single Point focus mode and have not yet half-pressed the shutter button. If it's the LCD that's stuttering, all I have to do to stop the jumpiness is to look through the viewfinder to activate the EVF, then take the camera away from my eye, and everything is fine; similarly, if it's the EVF that's stuttering, all I have to do is take the camera away from my eye to activate the LCD, then bring the camera back up to my eye to activate the EVF, and, again, the jumpiness is gone. Is that "normal"? Will it stop occurring if I put the camera in "Boost Mode" (which I've been loath to do thus far as I don't want to reduce the amount of shooting time I get per battery charge if I can help it)?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you might have. Also for putting up with any future (possibly naïve) questions that I might ask!

–David

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow